Search This Blog

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Lemon Burst Cookies

Our church is hosting for the Hypothermia Shelter this week and today is Family Circle's day to prepare and serve dinner for the shelter guests.  I volunteered to make dessert, so I made some cookies this morning.  They were so yummy that I thought I should share them online.  I found these cookies on Pinterest a few weeks ago and pinned it.  They are called Lemon Burst Cookies.  There are a few different recipes for them online.  One called for Cool Whip, oil, 1 egg and a box of Lemon cake mix.....hmmm, I didn't like the idea of Cool Whip.  In addition, several people said their cookies came out flat (probably because of only 1 egg).  I found another recipe that used 2 eggs, oil, lemon cake mix, and lemon juice/extract/zest. That's the recipe I decided to use.

Aren't they scrumptious looking?


They tasted as good as they look.   A soft, cakey, lemony cookie.  The recipe made 30 cookies....but a few mysteriously disappeared as they were cooling. Uh-oh.  So, I made a quick trip to Giant for another box of cake mix and made another batch. 


Here's the recipe:

Lemon Burst Cookies

1 box of lemon cake mix (18.25 oz)
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
zest of one lemon
2 Tbls lemon juice
1/4 tsp lemon extract
1/3 cup powdered sugar

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or use a SilPat baking mat.

2.  Into a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients except the powdered sugar.  Mix with a hand mixer until well blended.  Dough will be sticky.  I found that the dough became less sticky after a few minutes. 

3.  Put the powdered sugar into a small bowl.

4.  Use a small scoop to made a small ball of dough.  I used about 1 1/2 Tbls per cookie.  Roll into the powdered sugar.  Get a pretty heavy coating if you want that powdered sugar look on your finished cookie.  Place onto cookie sheet.

5.  Bake 9-10 mins until edges are just lightly browned.  Cool a couple mins on cookie sheet and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

Makes between 30-36 cookies depending on size. 

I've already dropped the cookies off at church for tonight's dinner.....wish I would have kept a few....yum

No comments: